Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Winter Wonderland




You know how some people wax poetic about Spring??

Well, that's precisely how I feel about Winter!!!

I love the squeaky crunch of snow underfoot.

I love the darkened, hushed aura of a snowstorm.

I love the stingy feeling deep in your sinus when you venture out from beneath your scarf to take a breath of fresh air.
I love the sharp feeling in your cheeks and nose when you go from the sub-zero temperatures outside to the heated interior.

I love scarves, sweaters, boots, coats, wool socks, long underwear, gloves, and hand warmers!

I love the chance to drink hot chocolate at any given moment.

I love going outside every morning, and knowing exactly what the critters have been up to! I see your tracks! I see your yellow snow!

I love doing my "penguin walk" as I navigate patches of ice.

I love grabbing my hubby's arm as we navigate patches of ice.

I love that I can rip off layers if I'm too hot. I can't do that in the summertime. Unless I want to scandalize the office, or unless I'm home.

I love putting on layers at home! socks, quilts, etc!

I love the feeling of rest or hibernation that the world has. Sure, in Springtime you have that exciting rebirth thing, but in Winter, you feel that the trees and flowers and Grizzly Bears are enjoying a well-deserved break!

I love snow, snow, and more snow!

I love Winter hobbies: knitting, quilting, baking!

I love eating soup when it's cold outside! Soup in Summer is also acceptable, but there really is nothing like a big pot of soup in the Winter!
And....I love Winter because all the University students wear clothes! I don't have to see cheekies, cheeses, and other unwanted anatomy! YAY!
I feel like Winter is such an unappreciated season. So many people hate the cold, hate the snow, hate the dormant fauna. I do feel like "tis the season to be grouchy" should be the theme song. I think cold is wonderful! The sting of cold makes me more aware that I'm alive. It makes me more thankful for a warm house and warm clothes and food. Every time I step inside and begin to warm up, I think of that. When I step inside after walking home in the summer, well, all I can think of is..."Where's the shower, and get me in it NOW!!!!", hehehe. Can you tell I don't like to be hot?
So, what are your favorite things about Winter?? Let's not be Winter haters!!!
Oh, and now would be a good time for an important disclaimer:
1. I don't have to drive in snow. Adam and I have always chosen to live very near school/work so that we wouldn't have to commute. I don't like to drive in snow any more than your average person.






No comments:

Post a Comment