I left my little apartment with plenty of time to make it to the bus stop. Then, as I weaved between the sidewalks and courtyards of the apartment complex, I heard a dreadful sound behind me and turned around...
And there, chasing me like a lion chases an ibex, was a vicious and terrible animal. It was aggressive and mean. It squawked at me and steadfastly pursued me. It had a nasty look in its eye.
With some surprise, I chortled at it and stomped my foot. I hoped this would make the wild animal realize that I was big and frightening and territorial. The creature stopped for a moment, but then picked up the pursuit, this time with a faster pace.
And so the walk that normally takes me one minute took five, as I continually stopped to attempt to intimidate the wild animal.
Boulder is known for its wild animals. Mountain lions, bears, raccoons, deer, marmots, and even a bobcat have been known to come into town and mingle with people.
But you know what mingled with me??
| It wants to kill you. |
That's right. A dangerous squirrelkin. It chased me ALLLLLL the way off the apartment property, and just when I was beginning to picture myself doing a squirrel-avoiding dance at the bus stop until the bus rescued me, the squirrelkin abandoned its chase. It's good, too, because I think my ankles were *this* close to being shredded, leaving me disabled and crippled for life.
This experience kind of reminded me of my pet banty rooster, Mr. Gilda. He was tiny, miniature even, but when he fluffed his feathers and chased your ankles, it was pure terror.

Kona agrees
ReplyDelete